This chicken is delicious and full of flavor! My family loves it and so do I. It takes about 5 minutes to prep for baking.
- 1 whole chicken (this recipe coated my 5-1/2 lb chicken perfectly)
- 1/3 cup mustard
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Fresh Rosemary
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-2 cups water and 2 teaspoons olive oil for bottom of roasting pan
- Pre-heat oven to 400º F and pull out your roasting pan
- Remove your chicken from its packaging and rinse well with cool water, making sure to remove neck and any goodies from the inside of chicken. Pat dry with a paper towel, then set chicken in your roasting pan.
- Combine the mustard, garlic, olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper in a small bowl
- Either with a pastry brush or clean hands, rub mustard/herb mixture all over chicken, making sure to lightly coat inside of chicken as well.
- Pour water and extra oil into the bottom of your roasting pan and set pan (lid on) in oven.
- Bake at 400º F for 30 minutes, then lower heat to 350º F for another 20-60 minutes of baking time. Remove the lid for the final 15 minutes of baking time for best results. (You want to be sure to bake your chicken 12-15 minutes per pound, or until the temperature of the thighs and breast are 170º F and all juices run clear.)
We love to make grilled asparagus and baked potatoes with this chicken. If your kids like to dip their chicken chunks in something tasty, try mixing equal parts honey and mustard together in small ramekins for them to dip into. My girls love it and so does my husband.